Thursday, January 23, 2014

Moving forward... PMA

 I'm the first person to admit 1000% that I have made awful decisions and have been one of the biggest assholes alive at times in my past. The reality of this and eventually "growing up" made me see things for what they were. While completely terrible and regretful they gave me a choice today. I could let those define me and wear that "scarlet letter" for the rest of my life, or learn from them and change to become better than that. I chose the latter of those two decisions.
 I decided on a life filled with a more PMA(Positive Mental Attitude) base and philosophy. My wife and son were huge factors in this for me. I wanted to be a better husband, father, son, and human being in this world. I wasn't concerned about public perception of my new outlook, as it has never influenced me before. Rather, a feeling of peace about the travels and interactions on a daily level. Started seeing the things The Buddha had taught over 3 thousand years ago.
 This "transition" hasn't been flawless by any means. I have had my slight road rage moments or snarky response to a negative comment online(I know, very childish). I do however take moments to think about my reactions and try to flip them to another view. Take that brief moment to "feel" the response to the situation and identify the negativity in it. I am however human and filled with faults, and there are the moments that slip through, to which I actually do revisit to learn from. At the end of it though, I continue to learn and work on it.
 I stated before that I basically didn't do this for the court of public opinion. There are people in my past, including a family member that still have me in the shadow of the person I once was. I suppose that will never change for them and how they feel. I'm not going to bang a drum for all to hear, that I changed my ways or anything. We all know actions, consistent actions will ALWAYS over power any words. I will keep progressing(stumbles and all) and living a PMA lifestyle. At the end of the day, this is about me and ultimately for me, not the shadows of my past. I don't fault the people of my past for their opinions, they were well deserved.
 There is a bonus to this new mindset, the ripple effect it brings. We as humans tend to mirror the emotion of the ones we interact with. Which in a lot of cases carries on to others around us and the ones on the "receiving" end. It becomes that ripple or domino effect. I remember the movie Pay it Forward and the impact of positive influences in the world and how far that ripple can go. We(most people I know) talk about the hate in this world today. Whether it's Religion, politics, lifestyle, or race has brought forth such venomous hate and disdain. I'm not going to change the world, but what if enough people in the world took a different approach and had the ripple effect? Far worse things have been attempted by the human race.
 I'm not preaching my choices for anyone to adhere to in their life. I'm telling you about the what, why, and how this has changed me. I have benefited from a happier home to daily friendly interactions to my overall health. Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings, create a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment